12 Cakes That Will Move You to Tiers
Photography by Dave Blackhurst
1. This head-turning cake from Wedding Cakes By Dawna shows off flirty flowers and one of the year’s hottest wedding cake colors: teal.
2. This Timeless Cakes creation is a runway-ready work of art with its crisp white layers and gorgeous cascading leaf design.
3. Get your “something blue” with this Cake-A-Licious elegant floral wonder adorned with alternating layers of blue and white sugar flowers.
1. Peacock feathers have made their way into bouquets over the past few years, and now they’re landing on cakes. The vibrant feathers on this three-tiered stunner by Wedding Cakes By Dawna are hand-painted.
2. A tall stand gives sweet slices height and drama — making this cake by Cake-A-Licious a décor showpiece as well as a delicious confection.
3. Vivid colors and wild designs are perfect for the fun-loving bride who wants a statement-making cake, like this one from Timeless Cakes.
1. Decorating the cake with a brooch from your grandmother’s jewelry box — like this example from Timeless Cakes — is perfect for a vintage-themed wedding.
2. This ivory beauty by Cake-A-Licious evokes romance with soft pearls, sweet ruffles and delicate pattern work.
3. Perfect for the bride who wants a simple classic, this white cake from Wedding Cakes by Dawna achieves stylish texture with fondant embellishments and a touch of sweetness from a pink sugar rose.
1. Square tiers give a cake a modern feel, while a flower topper gives it a girly finish in this creation by Timeless Cakes.
2. Glean inspiration from your wedding gown and incorporate similar bows, buttons, ruffles or lace patterns on your cake — like this reception-stopper from Wedding Cakes By Dawna.
3. Think outside the box and mix things up with square tiers, fondant circles and a bold color scheme — much like this eye-catcher from Cake-A-Licious.
Here are three top tips to ensure your wedding cake is a sweet success.
Know Your Budget
“Always let your baker know your budget upfront so you can get the cake design you want at a price you can afford,” says Tasha Mitchell of Cake-A-Licious. “Knowing how many servings you’ll need is another extremely important factor.”
Mix And Match
“When choosing your cake design, you don’t have to do a direct copy of a cake you’ve seen in a magazine or online,” Tasha says. “I love when brides bring me several photos of cake designs they like, and we take elements from all of them to create a completely unique cake.”
Dress Up The Cake Table
“Cake stands, beautiful linens and flower arrangements are great ways to dress up the cake table,” Tasha says. “Think outside the box. I have seen old dressers and end tables modified to be used as a cake table.”
FROM THE TOP
Give your wedding cake a little extra somethin’ somethin’ with a top-notch topper.
Accenting your cake with a wedding topper? Good. Accenting your cake with a custom wedding topper? Even better.
Julie Lucero, of Custom Cake Toppers by Julie, creates strikingly similar replicas of brides and grooms from photos.
“Custom toppers are so popular because brides want their wedding to be personalized in every way,” Julie says.