Whether it’s an occasional 5K or a yearly marathon, running has become a major part of Utah County culture. Just start counting how many Ragnar bumper stickers you see on I-15. And for many of the valley’s pavement pounders, running isn’t just a hobby — it’s part of their identity. Here are 15 signs you are a Utah County runner:
1. You’ve spent at least $100 at Runner’s Corner, 26.2 Running or Fleet Feet Sports.
2. You know who Hawk and Cheryl Harper are.
3. You want to “Run The Slam.”
4. You think paying $10 for a movie ticket is ridiculous.
Yet, you happily pay $40 for a 5K that you hope will last less than 30 minutes. Then, at the end of the race you judge the race bag and the quality of your race shirt material with intense scrutiny.
5. You plan your Halloween costume around whether or not it will look cool in your Provo Halloween Half Marathon photos.
6. You pass the same people on your 5 a.m. training runs and exchange “So you are nuts too?” smiles.
7. After you finished the St. George Marathon, you went home and obsessively hit refresh on the results page until your race time showed up.
8. You find this meme slightly offensive — mostly because you know it’s true.
9. You pass the Utah Valley Marathon billboard on the freeway and hope you look like that after a run, but deep down know you know you look as though you might need to be hospitalized.
10. You understand how important safety pins are.
11. You love BlenderBottles and Good2Go bars. Shop local!
12. You drive to the top of Provo Canyon just so you can run down it.
Or, you are one of the crazy people who runs to the top and back down again.