A blaze burned through three unoccupied duplexes in Provo at 4800 N. Edgemont Dr. on Friday, April 11. Officials suspect arson. (Photo courtesy Provo Fire & Rescue)
Another arson case is under investigation. This blaze burned through three unoccupied duplexes in Provo at 4800 N. Edgemont Dr. on Friday, April 11. (Photo courtesy Provo Fire & Rescue)

Most charges dropped against ex-councilman

This week a judge dismissed all but one charge against former Provo city councilman Steve Turley. The 46-year-old man had been charged with 10 felonies, including communications fraud, exploitation of a vulnerable adult and pattern of unlawful activity. He now faces one count of communications fraud related to his dealings over a loan and option to purchase land in Diamond Fork Canyon.

Guilty plea in sex abuse case

A woman who was the program director at a center that treats teens with sex-related problems pleaded guilty on Wednesday to sexually abusing one of those kids.

Springville resident Teresa Lee Cope pleaded guilty to five charges — three counts of custodial sexual relations with youth receiving state services and two counts of custodial sexual misconduct with youth receiving state services. She worked at Birdseye Residential Treatment Center.

She will be sentenced on Sept. 10.

Provo arson

Provo firefighters are investigating an arson of an abandoned building early Sunday morning.

It took firefighters nearly five hours to extinguish the fire, at 1284 S. State St. After the fire was out, Salt Lake City Fire Department K-9 Daz walked through the building and pointed to evidence of arson.

If you have information about the fire, call (801) 852-6210.

Fireworks anger

A Provo man was so upset over fireworks in his neighborhood on Friday night that he reportedly got out a gun and shot it several times into his yard. He then got into an argument with a family member over the shooting, police say.

He was arrested.


A Highland woman reported to police this week that her ex-boyfriend had kidnapped her. He reportedly picked her up and wouldn’t let her go. He eventually released her, and she reported the kidnapping to police. Officers found the man and arrested him.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *