When it’s time for lunch, what are your kids eating? It can be hard to establish healthy lunch habits for kids at school, but Intermountain Healthcare is making it easier for parents with lunch ideas, recipes and planners available at bit.ly/uvhealthylunches. These tools will help parents find foods to appeal to even the pickiest of eaters.
Also available on the site is a giveaway for bento boxes for kids to carry their lunch to school. The boxes are designed so parents can easily pack half a plate of fruits and veggies and half a plate of whole grains and protein as recommended at choosemyplate.gov.
Packing a healthy school lunch can be tough, but these tips can help:
- Keep it simple. Remember—it’s lunch, not a gourmet meal.
- Involve your kids in meal planning. Offer them a selection of healthy choices and let them choose what they’d like each day.
- Prepare lunch the night before.
- Take your kids shopping with you.
- Mix it up! Give them new ideas and choices.
- Keep trying. It can take kids multiple exposures to a type of food to appreciate it. Don’t give up!
- Check often with your kids to see which food combinations and lunch they enjoy most.
- Remember to include an ice pack to keep things cool.
Keep these tips in mind, and be sure to check out the lunch tools at bit.ly/uvhealthy lunches to help your kids eat well and perform better at school.