Easter can be a tricky holiday for Latter-day Saints. Traditional celebrations include the Easter Bunny, eggs, candy, Easter egg hunts and new clothes. Religious celebrations have nothing to do with these rituals, but instead focus on Jesus Christ and His atonement.
It’s up to each LDS family to choose how to celebrate Easter. But if you’d like to bring a little more celebration of Christ into your family’s Easter traditions, here’s a timeline of ideas. Teach your children about the last week of the Savior’s life as it corresponds with Easter. Here are songs, activities, scriptures, videos and more to share with your family on each day of the week.
Resources from LDS.org.
General Resources on the Last Week of Jesus Christ’s Earthly Ministry
- “Following the Savior’s Path” (April 2012 Friend)
Includes an activity to number pictures to show the order of events after Jesus arrived in Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.
- “Easter Week” (April 2011 Liahona and Friend)
An illustrated description of the week before Christ’s Crucifixion and Resurrection.
- “Jesus Finishes His Mission on Earth” (December 2011 Friend)
A simplified telling of the last days of the Savior’s mortal life.
- “Seeing the Joy of Easter” (April 2012 Liahona and Friend)
A story for young children about why Easter is a happy holiday. Includes a map showing Jesus’s activities during the last week of His mortal life.
- Mormon.org Easter Page
- Friend Magazine: Illustrated summary of the last week of Christ’s life.
- “Palm Sunday” (March 2016 Friend)
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf teaches about Palm Sunday and how we can walk the path of discipleship. Includes an idea for hanging paper hearts to remember what we love about Jesus.
Cleansing of the Temple
Video: Jesus Cleanses the Temple
Primary Lesson: Jesus Christ Cleanses the Temple
Teaching in the Temple
Scriptures: Matthew 25:31–46; 26:14–16
You may consider teaching your family about the temple, why we must be clean and worthy to enter, and why Christ chose to teach the people there.
Since nothing specific is known about this day, you may choose to teach about some of Christ’s parables and teachings. Here are some resources on the parable of the ten virgins:
“Tell Me the Stories of Jesus” (Children’s Songbook, 57).
Liahona article: The Parable of the 10 Virgins
Image: Five of Them Were Wise
Primary Lesson: Parable of the Ten Virgins
You may want to discuss the importance of the sacrament and how we can remember Christ each Sunday.
Garden of Gethsemane
- Video: Bible Videos, “The Savior Suffers in Gethsemane”
- “Jesus Suffers in the Garden of Gethsemane” (March 2003 Liahona and Friend)
Illustrated retelling of the scripture story.
- “The Garden” (April 2009 Friend)
A poem about the Savior’s sacrifice.
- Gospel Art Picture: “Jesus Praying in Gethsemane”
- Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 51: Jesus Suffers in the Garden of Gethsemane”
Crucifixion and Burial
- Video: “Special Witness – Elder Holland”
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles bears his testimony of the Atonement of the Savior.
- Gospel Art Picture: “The Crucifixion”
- Gospel Art Picture: “Burial of Jesus”
- Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 53: Jesus Is Crucified”
- Video: Jesus Is Laid in a Tomb
- The Book of Mormon records the signs of Christ’s death in the Americas. (3 Nephi 8:5-23)
- John 20:15–17
- Luke 24:36–40
- “Did Jesus Really Live Again?” (Children’s Songbook, 64).
- “Jesus Christ Is My Savior and Redeemer” (February 2010 Liahona and Friend)
Includes a puzzle that shows what the Atonement does for each of us.
- “He Broke the Bands of Death” (April 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Patrick Kearon of the Seventy tells how his young daughter learned about Jesus breaking the bands of death.
- “The Beautiful Day” (April 2011 Friend)
President Thomas S. Monson shares a story of a family who all had an unshakable testimony of the Resurrection. Includes two activities.
- Coloring page: “Jesus Christ made it possible for me to live with my Heavenly Father again.” (April 2009 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring page: “My faith in Jesus Christ grows when I know He is my Savior and Redeemer.” (April 2007 Liahona and Friend)
- “Jesus Was Resurrected” (March 2016 Friend)
- Gospel Art Picture: “The Ascension of Jesus”
- Video: Bible Videos, “Jesus Is Resurrected”
- Video: New Testament Stories, “Chapter 54: Jesus Is Risen”