From Aug. 17–19, 2018, President Russell M. Nelson traveled to three provinces in Central and Eastern Canada to address members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church’s prophet was accompanied by Wendy Nelson, his wife; Elder Neil L. Andersen, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles; and Elder Andersen’s wife, Kathy.
After returning from the trip, Elder Andersen shared a few of the things he learned during the conferences with the prophet on Facebook. Elder Andersen shared his notes from President Nelson’s instruction given in Toronto, Canada.
“The Lord’s hand was once again strongly evident in the teachings of President Nelson,” Elder Andersen wrote on Facebook. “He walked to the pulpit without any notes. He began by expressing his love and appreciation for those in attendance. His attention riveted on the children and he titled his 45 minutes of counsel, ‘The Sacred Responsibility to Teach Our Children.’”
Elder Andersen wrote that besides reiterating that parents should teach their children that they are children of God as well as about Jesus Christ, President Nelson instructed parents to focus on a few other basic doctrines. Here are the nine essential things to teach children from the prophet, according to Elder Andersen:
- Help them understand why we partake of the sacrament.
- Especially fathers—read the scriptures to your children.
- Let them have father’s blessings.
- Prepare them for patriarchal blessings.
- Teach them the significance of BIC (Born in the Covenant).
- Show them how all things lead to the temple.
- Help them to be honest in their tithing.
- Warn them about the plague of pornography and how to spot and resist it.
- Write each child or grandchild a letter, expressing your faith and love.
Read the full post below or on Facebook.