Address: 424 West 800 North Suite 201, Orem
Phone: (801) 802-0200
Twenty years ago, Jeanette Bennett was a new mom with a love for journalism and a desire to be with her baby boy. She had earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from BYU in journalism/communications, and she had walked away from her job as an editor at the Deseret News the day before giving birth.
As she folded newborn onesies, the entrepreneurial light bulb turned on for Jeanette, who minored in business with the idea that she would write about business — not necessarily start one.
But becoming a mom started a new storyline for this storyteller, and she now craved control of her schedule. In 1998, she and her husband, Matt, launched Bennett Communications by offering editing and newsletter services. Two years later in 2000, their business took a turn for the glossy with the inaugural issue of Utah Valley Magazine.
In the past 18 years, other titles have been added to the publishing family, including BusinessQ, Utah Valley Bride, Prosper Magazine and others.
In addition to the company’s proprietary titles, many companies and organizations have partnered with Bennett Communications to produce custom magazines, such as Parade of Homes events, summer festivals, and network marketing companies.
What started as a family business two decades ago now employs 12 full-time writers, sales associates and designers — as well as freelancers and interns.
“We are proud to be Utah Valley’s premier media and publishing company,” Jeanette says. “We wouldn’t trade our community for any in the country — including much larger markets. We will never run out of stories to tell about the amazing people and companies in this valley.”
Jeanette was honored in New York City in June as a Top Woman Entrepreneur in Media, along with Martha Stewart who was given the Lifetime Achievement Award.
“When we started Utah Valley Magazine in 2000, there was no such phrase as ‘social media.’ The creators of Facebook and Instagram were in high school when our first glossy pages came off the printer,” founding editor Jeanette Bennett says. “I didn’t send my first text until 2003. The world of communication has completely changed since our first edition. We have stayed relevant by keeping prices the same for 18 years and by doing more of what works and less of what doesn’t.”
The Fine Print: Services provided by Bennett Communications
- Community magazines
- Network marketing custom magazines
- Event magazines such as summer festivals
- Parade of Homes magazines (both inside Utah and around the country)
- UtahValley360.com, which is the digital landing page for the magazines as well as daily content including BYU sports, LDS news and humor, parenting columns and local theater reviews
- Swell Media (an ad agency for select clients)
- Print management (coordinating pre-press and fulfillment for outside projects by using our high quantity discounts)
- Events associated with our magazines, such as UV50 gala (set for October 11), 40 under 40 luncheon, Utah Valley Bride launch party, Fab 40 party
- MormonBrands.com, which showcases LDS products, including mission coins, pins and car decals designed by publisher Matt Bennett