That’s why Luminaria at Thanksgiving Point has already achieved “must do” status on Christmas lists throughout Utah Valley and beyond. This fourth year of Luminaria features 26 beats (themed sections) including seven new for 2019.
Highlighting the new additions is the Aqueous exhibit by Jen Lewin Studios. Aqueous is a traveling and adaptable art piece that encourages interaction and play — bringing physical and emotional light to attendees. The huge exhibit is 38 feet square and is set up behind Celebration Circle.
Other new features include Santa skee ball, stations to control sets of music notes and snowflakes, as well as giant spinnable lanterns.
But recurring favorites, like Gingerbread Place and Candy Cane Lane (sponsored by Utah Valley Magazine), continue to be a popular draw to the outdoor, family-friendly exploration of light and color.
Gingerbread Place features a dozen artisan gingerbread creations by Utah-based artist Cheryl Fulmer. This year, the collection will include a gingerbread factory. Candy Cane Lane is a favorite, too, adding the smell of peppermint to the winter night sky.
Luminaria will also host special Monday night activities and other special events through the five-week period.
For more information, visit thanksgivingpoint.org/events/luminaria
Mark Your Calendars
- Nov. 22, 2019 to Jan. 4, 2020
- Monday through Saturday, Closed Sundays, Christmas Eve, and Christmas.
- Time Slots: 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Last Admission: 9 p.m.
Holiday Magic at Thanksgiving Point
Carolers 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the new Luminaria Village.
Father Christmas 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Gingerbread Place.
Thanksgiving Point Learning and Engagement family activities 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Gingerbread Place.
Luminaria by the Numbers
- 26: Total themed sections throughout the display, including seven new areas for 2019.
- 11: Confirmed wedding proposals since Luminaria started in 2016. This number includes three last year.
- 6,672: Cups of hot chocolate sold at the event in 2019.
- 3,500: Number of volunteer hours given last year.