- Get a good pair of running shoes. Having the right shoes for training is essential. Afterall, the feet are one of the hardest working body parts to get you across that finish line.
- Find a training plan. Find a plan that fits your schedule and do your best to stick to it. Here’s a place to start: http://afcanyonrun.com/training/
- Get a running buddy. Training is better with a buddy. Don’t go at it alone. A training partner can keep you excited and accountable. A buddy will also keep you from skipping a cold or tired morning.
- Lace up and get outside. Step outside and get that first run under your belt. If it’s only one mile and you walk most of it, that’s OK. The most important thing is to start!
- Don’t be hard on yourself. Running can be fickle. One day you’ll feel great, and another run you’ll be dragging. Keep at it and keep your end goal in mind. Take it one day at a time.